Founded in 1855 as the New Jersey State Normal School, The College of New Jersey is the oldest teacher training college in the state and the ninth oldest in the nation. Originally located in downtown Trenton, the college expanded academically and physically and moved to suburban Ewing Township in the 1930s.
Over the years the name of the college has changed to reflect its expanding mission.
New New Jersey State Normal School 1855-1908
New Jersey Normal School in Trenton 1908-1929
New Jersey State Teachers College and State Normal School at Trenton 1929-1937
New Jersey State Teachers College at Trenton 1937-1958
Trenton State College 1958-1996
The College of New Jersey 1996-present
The history of the college is documented in its Bulletins (also called Annual Reports and Catalogs), its newspaper - the Signal, its yearbook - the Seal, in several books, and in the photographs and documents in the Archives.