Who May Request ILL Materials
Those eligible to place an ILL request at TCNJ Library are:
- Current and retired faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Currently enrolled graduate and undergraduate students.
- All library users must have an activated ID card to use Interlibrary Loan services.
The conditions of this service are set by the Interlibrary Loan Code of the American Library Association and by the regulations of individual lending libraries. All guidelines reflect these conditions and encourage cooperation from everyone for the most effective service.
Materials That May Be Requested
Interlibrary loan requests will be limited to research materials that are not owned by TCNJ and are necessary to meet the study, instructional, and research needs of TCNJ faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
- A loan or a copy may be requested from another library, although the lending library decides in each case whether or not it will provide a particular item.
- Items missing or withdrawn from The College of New Jersey Library collection.
- Missing pages from TCNJ Library material.
- Users who require extensive use of materials from other institutions will be encouraged to work with a subject specialist for assistance in arranging access to needed materials.
Materials That Generally May Not Be Requested
Most libraries will NOT ordinarily lend the following types of materials:
- TCNJ owned books available on reserves. (we will make a copy of one chapter).
- Basic reference material
- Rare or valuable material, including manuscripts
- Bulky or fragile items that are difficult or expensive to ship
- Material in high demand at the lending library
- Material with local circulation restrictions
- Unique material that would be difficult or impossible to replace
- U.S. books published within the present calendar year
- DVDs, video tapes, audio tapes, maps, software, CD ROM, and sound recordings
- Lengthy or complete runs of periodicals — journals, magazines, or newspapers — on microfilm or microfiche.
- Many libraries will not lend theses or dissertations if they are readily available on microfilm. If the owning library will not lend, the user will be provided with instructions on how to purchase a microfilm copy.
- Materials for class reserves
Number of ILL Requests Allowed
In cases where one patron submits an extremely large number of requests at one time, it may be necessary to pace the processing of these requests in proportion to other incoming requests. For that reason, bulk requests may take somewhat longer. The Interlibrary Loan Department reserves the right to limit the number of items processed for any individual TCNJ student, faculty, staff member, or alumnus.
Length of Time for Processing ILL Requests
Turnaround time may be as short as a few days for articles. Books and some articles may take up to two weeks depending on availability. Turnaround time may be affected by scarcity of sources, distance of sources, holidays and weekends, or incomplete information about the requested item. Requests that must be sent internationally usually take considerably longer.
How To Submit ILL Requests
You will need to have your ID card activated at the library’s Access Services desk.
The Web forms for requests are available at https://tcnj.illiad.oclc.org/illiad/logon.html.
TCNJ Students, Faculty/Staff, & Alumni may use this form to request materials not owned by TCNJ Library.
Complete one ILL request form for each item needed. Each form must be as complete as possible in order to facilitate handling by other libraries and to ensure prompt and accurate completion of the request.
Required and helpful information about the requested item include the following elements:
|Books||Include book title, author(s)/editor(s), ISBN, publisher and publishing date.|
|Journal, Magazine, or Newspaper Articles||Include unabbreviated periodical title, ISSN, author, title of article, volume, issue, date and pages.|
|Conference Proceedings||Include full, unabbreviated conference title and sponsoring body, author, title, publisher, date and pages.|
|Patent||Include patent number, issue date (month, day, year), country of origin, patent title and author.|
|Theses or Dissertations||Include author and title of the work, the university granting the degree and the date of the degree.|
|Audiovisual Materials||Include title, author, date, and producer or company|
Checking the Status of ILL Requests
Interlibrary Loan requests are posted directly in your ILLiad account. To check on your request, logon to your ILLiad Interlibrary Loan account.
Notification When ILL Materials Are Received
Notification that material has arrived will be communicated by e-mail.
Interlibrary Loan materials should be picked up at the Access Services Desk within 10 days.
Most articles will be delivered to the library user’s ILLiad Interlibrary Loan account.
Interlibrary loan materials are not mailed to library users.
Loan Periods, Renewals, and Returns
The loan time for borrowed material is set by the lending library and exact dates are indicated on an insert clipped to the material. Renewals may be requested but they are at the discretion of the lending institution. The patron should contact an Interlibrary Loan staff member at (609) 771-2028 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the interest of maintaining good relations with the lending libraries, due dates must be honored. If a borrower disregards due dates their library borrowing privileges will be blocked and fines will be charged.
Return books to the Access Services Desk. Do not return Interlibrary Loan materials via the library book drop, campus mail, or US mail. Books must have the Interlibrary Loan inserts clipped inside when returned.
Costs and Fines
Interlibrary loan is provided free of charge to TCNJ faculty/staff, alumni and students.
Overdue fines will be assessed in accordance to the Library's Fines, Charges, and Payments Policy as approved by the TCNJ Board of Trustees.
|Lost Book Charges**||Current cost of lost book or $50.00 (if cost is not attainable)|
Lost, Stolen, and Damaged ILL Materials
Failure to return overdue interlibrary loan items may result in the suspension of both interlibrary borrowing privileges and TCNJ library borrowing privileges and a bill for replacement of the item. Replacement charges are at the discretion of the lending library and may include both the cost of the material and a processing fee.
All fines and fees assessed at the Library are transfered to Student Accounts after two weeks.
Unable to Submit ILL Requests
If you are blocked from submitting an Interlibrary Loan request, it may be because:
- Your card has not been activated at the Access Services Desk
- You may have overdue items
- You may have outstanding fines
Please call Access Services at (609) 771-2311.
For more information contact Interlibrary Loan at email@example.com.